Sunday, March 31, 2013

Words in space! Permaculture, Queerness and Feminism Article is up!


What a surreal experience. Nearly 9 months after I saw down to answer the questions of Nicole Vosper of UK's Wild Heart Permaculture, I get the email. Our interview is published online on Permanent Culture Now.

9 months (i dont have to mention the symbology). This article was written lifetimes ago, and yesterday. Of course I winced at my wordiness, the buzzy vocabularly, the backwards and forwards grammar. But I also smiled. Because I love the person who answered those questions. Back then (yes, back then... only 9 months ago) I was burning fresh from Occupy, I was frustrated with activism and an activist, I was tired of wary of revolution and a revolutionary, i was disgusted by academia and an academic. I was angry and thought the right words could explain myself into wholeness. And in some ways they do. In so many ways they don't.


Just like a child, a project that I started at one moment in my evolution has suddenly been born and has an identity unique and throbbing on itself, separate from the journey of me, yet still connected.  My own jounrey has moved away from the wordy venom of that time - I feel tenderly towards those who inadvertantly oppress, because I recognize their foibles as my own and embrace the opportunity to learn and heal these habits together. Still, I respect where I was coming from at the time; it was a necessary step before the turning inward that is now my teacher. I think my favorite point of the article is that diversity is about joy and real-life friendship. Ironically, my main point was that words just get in the way and there is real relationship at stake!

And of course, there are lots of parts of the interview that now have an even deeper truth, so much more physicalized now that I smile to know that back then, I already knew:

Nicole: Big question but in short how does society need to be re-designed for real gender & sexual liberation? What role can permaculture designers play?
Annie-Rose: Start loving yourself! Love other people, people who are different from you! Stop being afraid! To me there are many correct answers to this, all of which require that folks believe that they have the right to be happy.

Please take a look at the article and share your thoughts. I could talk more about the article, but I'm more interested in your thoughts!



No comments:

Post a Comment